What is known as Catholic Charities in the Diocese of Syracuse began in 1923. At that time, Bishop Daniel Curley was the third Bishop of the Syracuse Diocese and under his direction Catholic Charities was formally created and incorporated two years later to carry on the corporal works of mercy in Central New York. Bishop Curley envisioned Catholic Charities as follows: “What is proposed is the creation of an organization which will be prepared to do all those things in the field of charity which should be done, but which the parishes acting alone cannot perform. It is to the organization suggested by the name – “The Bishop’s House of Charity” – to which the Diocese can confidently turn."
Although the mission of Catholic Charities has not changed a great deal since that time, many of its activities and policies have developed in a manner that has helped to more effectively minister and respond to the problems of the day. The 20’s and 30’s saw the growth of offices in Syracuse, Utica and Binghamton, with core services placing a great emphasis on adoptions, counseling and emergency assistance. As time went on, Catholic Charities grew in the Diocese so that it is presently felt throughout the Diocese by six area offices covering Broome, Chenango, Cortland, Onondaga, Oneida-Madison and Fulton-Oswego counties.
For Catholic Charities of our Diocese, “success” is not only a function of the provision of quality and needed services, but the realization of our sacra-mentality. Our identity as a Catholic agency is important and the mandate to help all people spurs us on to bring the caring Christ to others – through us.